Slow Cooker Ribs


Hey I swore that I would never post a slow cooker ribs recipe on this site but I'm going through a bit of barbecue withdrawal.. well it's winter time now and I cannot make smoked ribs the right way -- outside in my smoker -- especially since there is a burn ban on right now due to the dry conditions, so I am forced to consider alternatives. Okay, that's the bad news. The good news being that I can still eat, and I plan on doing lots of that. Now, I'll tell you right up front, slow cooker ribs are not as good as the slow smoked ribs, but they're better than grilled cheese. So I've tried several versions of slow cooker ribs and most are pretty bad so I was forced to come up with my own that seems to produce a tender rib taste without giving off that 'dishwasher steam' taste that most slow cooked ribs have. You know what I'm talking about.. that disgusting plastic-like, school cafeteria taste. I avoid that when possible and so should you if you ask me.

What You'll Need

Let's start with some good ribs. Choose either baby back ribs or St. Louis style ribs. Country ribs work okay too but be extra careful of bone slivers breaking off into the barbecue sauce if you go that route. Make sure that the ribs you choose are fresh and have several days to go before the 'use by' date arrives. Best not to use frozen ribs but if that is all you have then go for it.

Get a good barbecue rib rub too.

You will also need whatever is your favorite barbecue sauce

Slow Cooker Ribs recipe

Wash and trim the baby back ribs or whatever cut of pork ribs you choose.

Cut ribs into sections with 4 or 5 ribs to each section.

Brush ribs with olive oil on both sides and then coat with your rib rub.

Brown under broiler in oven for 7 to 10 minutes per side. Do not put the ribs too close to the broiler element or else they will smoke too much. Use a large cookie sheet. Remove spare ribs from oven after they are browned on both sides and let stand for several minutes to cool. You may have to do in batches to achieve an even coating.

After the ribs have cooled, double wrap each section in aluminum foil and place ribs in slow cooker and cook on low heat for about 8 hours. Remove ribs and allow them to cool enough so that you can handle them without them breaking apart, usually about 30 minutes or so.

Heat up your barbecue sauce in a small saucepan. Turn the sauce on low so that it does not splash out. The thicker the sauce, the lower you will need to turn the burner on. Keep it stirred so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.

Serve the ribs with hot barbecue sauce to the side or over the ribs. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Uncle Bruce5:16 PM

    I tried this with 6 hours in the slow cooker and then 2 hours on a Kamado grill with lots of smoke. Awesome! It strikes a good balance and yields ribs that are succulent, melt in your mouth and have good smoke.

    Better than the best results I've had with Kamado alone.

    ReplyDelete

Share your barbecue recipes or comments.

Share it

Total Pageviews